We decided NOT to write a book about all the pop songs that “only” (or…”somehow”) hit #11 on the Billboard charts…but you wouldn’t know it from our voluminous notes on the 11 Number 11s we did decide to contemplate, including Stevie Nicks, Stephen Bishop, Dead or Alive, Heart, Digital Underground, T. Swift, the Thompson Twins, the KLF (with Tammy Wynette), Gloria Estefan, Crystal Waters, and the Beatles. Surprisingly bad vocals, appealing audacity, Citizen Kane, confused NuRo image systems, hangover takes, and stage names on the birth certificate — come with us on a journey that ends juuuuuust short of the chart’s promised land.
Our intro is by Laura Barger and Jack Baldelli, and our outro is by I’m With Her. Interstitial music provided by The Go! Team. To contact us or buy our books, visit MarkAndSarahTalkAboutSongs.com. To become a patron of the show, visit patreon.com/mastas.
- Madonna A to Z
- AmericanSongwriter.com’s top 10 Heart tracks
- Episode 92: Heart, “What About Love”
- Episode 144: Fergie, “Fergalicious”
- Episode 66: Stevie Nicks, “Stand Back”
- Episode 131: The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” Ranked
- The Mu Mu Land Chamber of Commerce
- More on Tammy Wynette’s “abduction”
- Episode 166: Taylor Swift feat. The Chicks, “Soon You’ll Get Better”